The one thing you need to do if getting your first job is filling you with dread is deal with the voice in your head that is saying you can’t!
On a scale of 1-10 how loud is that voice right now?
You know the time when you should start applying for a job is looming large but you keep making excuses not to do it. It feels like a ticking bomb counting down to when you leave education behind and you are heading for trouble if you don’t have a job to go to.
Part of the problem is that you just can’t get your head around the amount of hours you will have to work. How on earth will you fit in the rest of your life if you are working 40 hours a week?
And watching all your friends get a job doesn’t help. One-by-one they are all gaining employment and you feel left behind.
You can’t seem to escape from worrying about getting a job and sometimes, particularly at night, it starts to build into panic attack proportions. Your muscles feel tense and your heart races a lot…you wish it would all go away!
Let me address this straight away with some questions that will immediately give you a confidence boost…
- Do you believe that you are completely unemployable?
- Do you believe that there isn’t a single employer who will employ you?
- Do you believe that you have no skills whatsoever to offer?
- If you went to college/university, do you believe you’ve just wasted your time there and learned nothing?
- Do you believe you are the only person who is scared of change?
If you answered ‘no’ to even just one of those questions then
pop the party-popper!
YOU are going to be fine!!
Now, take a deeeep breath…
a deeeeeeep breath and read on 🙂
I’m going to give you 10 easy and actionable things you can do RIGHT NOW that will raise your confidence levels EVEN FURTHER!
You need a pen and a piece of paper or use your phone to make notes…It’s ok…I’ll wait until you get them 🙂
It’s important NOT to censor yourself when you answer these questions…just write everything that comes into your mind. DO NOT allow any negative thoughts to stop you from writing something!
- Write down 1-3 jobs you would love to do.
- Write down the skills you would bring to those jobs…don’t over-think this just write them all down.
- Write down what YOU will bring to that job…what’s different about YOU?
- Write down 3 ways your future work place could improve on their productivity/services/response etc…don’t censor yourself…write down everything that springs to mind.
- Write down 3 ways you can find out more about your future employers.
- Write down 3 ways that you can find the job you would love.
- Write down 3 ways you can find out what your potential employer is looking for in an employee.
- Write down 3 ways you can make your cv/resume different from the majority of others.
- Write down 1-3 ways you can capture a future employer’s attention in the first paragraph of your covering letter.
- Write down 3 things a future employer would love about you.
How did you do?
Listen…if you wrote down just one thing for some of those questions THAT IS GREAT!
In fact if you wrote down just ONE thing in total that is STILL GREAT!
I am SO PROUD of YOU!
Now, here’s something I created JUST FOR YOU!
Print it out and display it where you will see it often.
The idea is that you start thinking in a different way to get you out of your anxious inaction!
So print it out!
Write your sentence on your poster and reward yourself this very instant with something nice to eat, a coffee, a glass of wine,…whatever you like…JUST DO IT!
So, on a scale of 1-10, where is that negative voice now?
If you’d like to lower your negative voice EVEN FURTHER click here to get my ‘Get Over Yourself’ Fun Sheet full of great ways to see yourself in a much more POSITIVE light. You will then get weekly emails from me with hints and tips for writing your CVs/Resumes and covering letters starting with…my 10 Steps to an Amazing Covering Letter that will put you firmly on the YES pile